He's a plagurist 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
No he's not 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
His books are good 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
They're Rubbish! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Brisingr/Is CP a plagurist/Random Off-Topic stuff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:38 pm 
Cererean Princess

The release date's just been announced! The third book in the Inheritence cycle is called Brisingr and is going to come out at 00:01 September the 20th. The bookstores actually asked for the date to be moved to a weekend so they could have a midnight opening! Can't wait! An important character dies at the end, CPs released that much. I might do a Cartman and freeze myself to make it come quicker :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Last edited by Corva on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 am 
Godsin Queen

sorry never heard of it.

whats it about?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:56 am 
Wandering Dragon

Hey, you beat me too it! I was gonna post something about this, lol :lol:
Yeah, I cant wait, AND theres gonna be a 4th book too!
It should be good, it better be good!!
Oh, its the 3rd book of Inheritance, Eragon, Eldest, bout a boy who finds a dragon egg, becomes a rider, fantasy book, made into film, werent half as good as books, very angry, took too long for 3rd to come out, now got to wait for a 4th, grrrr, * Takes Deep breath*, .... *sighs*, got that off my chest, lol :lol:

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:00 pm 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

Oh, whoopee... I totally called this. Christopher Paolini's making a fourth to sate his rapidly-inflating ego and his rapidly-dwindling wallet. Also, I'm fairly sure that after the rest of his plagiarism, he really shouldn't be writing anymore.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:16 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Harsh, Telestriation.

Anyway, I doubt he is going to write an actual fourth. And if he is, he didnt plan to originally. If you look in the back of the first/and/or second one, it mentions that they're both part of the Inheritance TRILOGY. For those of you who don't know, trilogy means three part.

POSSIBLE SPOILER PAST THIS PART.

And anyway. I'm interested, but just watch. I know that whoever the third Rider is, they're either going to be a dwarf, or capable of doing some other 'impossible thing.', simply because Paolini is original like that. Famous writers disgust me.

Gods I love that title.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:12 pm 
Cererean Princess

telestriation wrote:
Oh, whoopee... I totally called this. Christopher Paolini's making a fourth to sate his rapidly-inflating ego and his rapidly-dwindling wallet. Also, I'm fairly sure that after the rest of his plagiarism, he really shouldn't be writing anymore.

If that's plagiarism, can you please tell me what Book(s) he stole from. They must be good.

On the Amazon page there's a video message from CP to the fans. The fourth book is actually because CP looked at the list of events he had planned out for the trilogy, added in the extra that you end up with when writing a book, and realised a fourth was needed.

I need to get writing. I'm 14 on the 28th of May, and I intend to beat him by getting a book published before I'm 15.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:28 pm 

Well there have been some of the bad reviews calling it a copy of Star Wars, LOTR and the Pern novels mixed into one. (and yes, they are all good books, I would really suggest the Pern novels) I have yet to read it, just keep moving it to the bottom of the pile I guess. I am not the target age for this book really. But most of those even say it is not a bad book, in its own way it is good.

And do remember, they did print the first book out of their own pocket.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:12 pm 
Godsin Queen

Oh!

Quite frankly after reding the first book I was too discusted to continue reading the trilogy. He SOOOOOOOO COPIED Mc cafery and don't say he didn't!

I hate how they always say he's so origenal and wonderful, he just stole his stuff from a defenseless little old lady who should of sued the BLEEP out of 'em. I think he's a sick little uh..... donkey that should be took out into the streets and shot! :evil:

and nothing you can say will change my mind about it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:23 pm 
Cererean Princess

It's FANTASY. Do you know what fantasy is? Of course it's similar to other fantasy/SciFi (there classified as the same by the way) novels.

The only similarity between Eragon and the Pern novels is the concept of a DragonRider. I've seen Star Wars, practically no similarities there, and seen LOTR (tried reading it, to many songs), only similarities are a traitor and a quest. Of course it's similar, THE SIMILARITIES ARE PRACTICALLY STAPLES OF SF/FANTASY!!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:28 pm 
Cererean Princess

It's FANTASY. Do you know what fantasy is? Of course it's similar to other fantasy/SciFi (there classified as the same by the way) novels.

The only similarity between Eragon and the Pern novels is the concept of a DragonRider. I've seen Star Wars, practically no similarities there, and seen LOTR (tried reading it, to many songs), only similarities are a traitor and a quest. Of course it's similar, THE SIMILARITIES ARE PRACTICALLY STAPLES OF SF/FANTASY!! Am I a Plagurist then? Just because I have a DragonRider in my Novel? Although for the obvious bits I give credit lol. Inspiration and Plagurism are not the same. Can you give me a list of stories about DragonRiders? I only know two: Pern and Inheritence. And mine, but that isn't published yet, so it doesn't count. When there isn't many books to draw inspiration from...

Calm down, calm down... Okay, main rant over, can you point out the Plagurism?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:56 pm 
Godsin Queen

It's not just similar, he follows the bond between dragon and rider to a Q.
For example dragon eggs will only hatch for their own "destine" riders. There are other examples, but I think the best thing you could do is read the Dragon Riders of Pern books, and Dragon singer, Dragon's flight, Dragon song, and Dragons Drums.

I'm not saying he's no good, I'm saying if yur gonna claim origealaty, you should at least follow the bill. Otherwise yur not making a very good name for yourself.

pleanty of people can come up with oreginal theories or stories that have absolutly no simalaraties to others works, So I still disagree with fantasy haveing to have simuaraties, actuly since it's fantasy, I think the oposite would be better applied. Fantasy shoud be full of origenaity because it is so diverse.

I see no links from him to star wars so I have no idea where thats from. The only thing I could think of on that one is maybe Brom and obby one conoby, but even I think that one is a streach.

Plus I think he let holly wood screw up his story beyond repair.

I can't agree with everyone, but I don't disagree for no good reason.

Just remember, this is MY opinion, in the end how you feel is all that should matter to you. I'm incredable sorry if it seems like I blew off on you. :roll:

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:38 pm 
Cererean Princess

I have read the Pern novels. There are no more similarites, probably less, than other SciFi/Fantasy stories. One writer comes up with an excellent idea, so therefore no-one else should be allowed to use it? If I thought, I could come up with loads of links between stories that close.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:13 pm 
Wandering Dragon

OK, first of all, there is deffinatly going to be a 4th book, CP said that himself cus he couldnt fit the story into one last book, so he changed the name Trilogy to Series.
I think the books are great, but everyone IS entitlted to their own opinion.
The critics kept comparing the books to LOTR, but there are only minor similarities. Not sure about Pern books, havent read them, but what I have read on them tells me that they aint much like what CP wrote.... Star Wars, no idea where that came from.
The film Eragon, hmm, lots of things wrong, I would suggest to anyone to read the book/s first,... or if you saw the film first and want to read the books, treat the books like a different story.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:15 pm 

Not like Star Wars? Ok, this Summary may be wrong but I see it off just that.
Quote:
Soon after the strange stone he found in the forest hatches a dragon, Eragon finds that his life has changed forever; his home is destroyed, the uncle who raised him is killed, and he and the dragon, Saphira, are forced to flee the minions of Galbatorix's evil Empire. Accompanied by Brom the storyteller, Eragon discovers that he is the last of the Riders, who once kept the peace and were wiped out by Galbatorix.

While pursuing revenge against those who killed his uncle, Eragon learns to communicate telepathically with Saphira, and Brom begins teaching him the skills of fighting and magic. But soon Eragon realizes he is a pawn in a vast power struggle that is tearing the Empire apart, and that he and his dragon may be the ones to change the balance of power -- if only they can find out whom to trust.

Includes map, pronunciation guide, and language glossary.

Both characters, have their "uncle" killed forcing them to start going. They are both accompanied by a "teacher" who shows him the way to fight an the way of "magic". They are both "pawns" in the greater struggle of things. I would guess there are more. But the same can be said about the King Arther story.

But I may add, Lucas took his ideas from Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, a book telling about myths of the past and how the "hero" fits together around the world.

I do have to agree, a writer has to try hard not to "copy" another writers ideas. And people seem to like his work. The true question is will the books last the test of time. I do hope you like the new book(s), but I'll just get the Dragonlance books I have yet to read.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:14 am 
Cererean Princess

Anyone read Dragon Rider? Anyone reand Dragon Master? If CP had the dragon being able talk he'd be considered a plagurist, if he'd had it dumb he'd be a plagurit. Anymore ways he could have had the dragons?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:21 pm 
Godsin Queen

dumb dragons? Actuly I've never heard of that one before.

Now THAT would defenatly be a challanging story to write a story about a dumb dragon. Exactly how would you go about it without offending dragon lovers?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:55 pm 

I agree DragonRider, with enough time and work you can show how almost everything pulls ideas from the past. As in my post, the ideas have been in the world myth as long as we have been telling tells. If this book was "plagiarized", I don't think anyone would have read it. They would not have put it out.

The major problems people are having with the books are:
1. A young author. People are bothered by the idea the guy was so young with the publishing of the book.

2. Another mythic story. We see the LOTR movies, Harry Potter movies and books, Narta movie, More Star Wars movies, the D&D movies, many other books and movies in this idea. And I think people are just a little sick of this, then found fault in the books.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:43 pm 
Cererean Princess

You think people are beginning to get sick of ScFi/Fantasy (let's just call it Fantasy and have it cover the lot) set in a time different to now? Hmmm, possible. It would explain why there hasn't been anyone moaning about Ravens Gate, Evil Star, and Nightrise. Good thing I'm settig most of mine nowadays. But then I might fall foul to the first point you mentioned: Age. I'm 14 on May 28th.

It would improve Eternal Twilights chances as a film :D :D :) :lol: :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:10 pm 

As for age, if someone does use that on you just remind them Mozart was 5 and writing simple music. And by his early-teen years was becoming a composer of true music.

But I am sad to day the movie thing may not work, I think the recent ones have harmed the "book to movie" market. Top of the list it the Dragonlance movie, and that is so sad as well.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:24 am 
Wandering Dragon

Well, i didnt really see the Star wars thing, but I can see where your getting your idea from, but that part is just a summary of the 1st book, Eragon which you get at the start of the 2nd, Eldest, so it was speeded up, becuase its a summerisation.
And CP wrote the first book at 15. And he was influenced, I think..., by books called Wizards of the Coast, never heard of or read them but...
I agree, the people who have "original " ideas today are likely to be similar to old "original" ideas, just like music, where there is only a certain amount of notes you can play in different orders. But the point is, most dont intend to copy others.
When They made Eragon into a film, I then realised howe the Harry Potter book fans felt, they always used to say to me, " The books are WAY better, you should read them!!" and I used to reply " No, I prefer the films", but now I would advise the same to people about Eragon....

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 pm 
Godsin Queen

I wouldn't worry about age till the book was finished. It some times takes years to finish.

I myself have been working on a book since I was twelve. I'm still not finished with it and I'm 19 now. Who knows I might be in my thirties before I can try to get it published.

If the judgement was based on when you started the book, well, I guess I'm pretty much screwed.

I always thought it would be cool to be an exteamly young writer. You know as a show of brilance and talent, I never thought of it as something that would scare people away.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 pm 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

In addition to all of the ones stated by Vamp, there are the Wheel of Time series, and I've yet to see anything that points me away from thinking LoZ. The directional climates are just too cliche...

Offline Profile