It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:18 pm

Should it?
Your just thinking like a dork go back to the crazy house 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Yes indeed i agree with you mr Drian 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: The Study Of Myths and Legends
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:45 pm 
Sword Master

Location: In my room talking to random people i really dont know but talk too anyay!!
Ok As a UK College student i havent had much choice to study this. Before i started college and was leaving high school i decided that i wanted to study into myths and legends and Dracontology, This seems to be absolutely Impossible, This time next year i will be 2 months away from starting University and still have searched the entire country for some form of myths and legends course without taking history :(

Whats your views on the matter do you think there should be a possibility to study Dracontology and Myths and Legends at College level or is it just be being a fanatic?

Love Your Friendly Neighbourhood Dragonobsesie
Call Me Drian :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:44 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

I would say you need to look into archeology. And take biology classes as your science classes. Another couple of courses to get into would be paleontology and ancient literature. I would also say you will have to take some ancient history classes, or at least one or two. You are about to go into a lot of class work, and a ton of reading.

I am sorry for putting it like that but, you won't find a "lesser science" like dragonology in a college setting. They have to think how and where the money to keep these classes comes from.

But as I said archeology, it your best hope for what you want to learn. You will have the recourses to look into myths and legends and with hope get some hands on experience. And things like that should be fun in the UK, and you may get to go the main land and work at digs there. Taking the paleontology classes will give you a look into the far past, and at least know what creatures were around in the past. And along with the bio class you will learn how to classify bones to what creature they came from. I am sorry to tell you but the history and literature classes will be the greatest help for what you want to do. You need to know what works are out there, and where to find them.

And best of all (again I am sorry to put it this way) you can find a "main" career to work with while keeping dragonology as your side work. You will find it a lot easier finding a job with another thing, I don’t think dragonology has too many openings.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:03 am 
Wandering Dragon

It would be really great if there were dragonology courses, but there just arent, sadly, but that doesnt mean you cant study it yourself. You can always buy books on dragons, old myths and legends. There are still places where you can visit an ancient dragon battle ground.

I think studying ancient Greek Mythology would be pretty cool, they have all those gods and monsters, it would be very interesting, and its not really like history history sort of thing... :lol:

But, if a Dragonolgy, or Draconology course does appear, we probably wouldnt get a chance to take it as it would be small and others will get there first! :lol: So the only way is to study independantly...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:21 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
ancient dragon battle grounds, where?!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:04 am 
Legendary Warrior

I agree with vampirehunter42, dragonology will have to be your "side work".

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:13 am 
Wandering Dragon

dragonmaster wrote:
ancient dragon battle grounds, where?!

Well, I was referring to some places where dragons were supposedly slain.
Theres Lambton, in England:
Quote:
The tale of the Lambton Wyrm (sometimes spelled Worm) is an English legend from the Middle Ages. It takes place near the River Wear in County Durham where Lambton Castle stands.
One day young John Lambton - heir to the Lambton name and estate - was out fishing in the river. After an unsuccessful day he finally caught something. Unfortunately it wasn't a fish but an unpleasant-looking eel-like creature.
Lambton threw the creature down a well (which became known as "Worm Well"), believing it would die. In fact it survived and grew - and grew.
Some years later, whilst John Lambton was away fighting in the Crusades, the wyrm, now fully grown, escaped from the well. It began to terrorise the region, killing and devouring local people.
The wyrm also kept on growing until it was large enough to wrap itself three times around the hill that was its home, which was unimaginatively named Worm Hill. The song of the Lambton Wyrm refers to "Pensher Hill", but some believe Worm Hill to be a small hillock to the North of the Wear near Fatfield Bridge.
John Lambton returned from the Crusades and swore to kill the Wyrm that he himself had unleashed. However he realised that it was too powerful for him.
So Lambton sought the help of a local witch. She agreed to cast a spell to help him, but there would be a price. After killing the Worm, Lambton would also have to kill the very next living creature he met on returning to Lambton Hall. He agreed.
With the help of the witch's spell and a coat of mail studded with spear-heads, John Lambton slew the Wyrm in a fierce battle. Exhausted from the battle, he returned home expecting to be met by one of the family dogs. In fact the first living thing he met was his father.
Lambton refused to kill his own father in cold blood. Because he broke his promise to the witch the Lambton family was cursed for nine generations.

Theres a few others from a different book that I have, but I wont advertise, I can PM you the title if you want.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:43 am 
Eyes in the dark

Due to most people thinking subjects like that are flights of fancy I doubt you'd find them, which sucks. They should be there though. If they where I'd still be in college :mrgreen:

Most Mythology classes if your college has them might help, along with paleontology, but that's already been said. Also stated above, you can study it on your own. Just have to find a good place to start. Maybe a bookstore that isn't scared of carrying things that aren't watered down (Good luck.)

I hope you find someway to make yourself happy! Good Luck!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:11 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
Oooh, PM me the title too, Blue Tiger!

Offline Profile